CARNELIAN, a yellow to orange-red variety of chalcedony
- VARIETY OF: Crypto-crystalline
- USES: Gemstone and ornamental stone.
- COLOR: Yellow, orange, or red-orange
- HARDNESS: 7
- CLEAVAGE: none
- CRYSTAL SYSTEM: none visible (actual crystals are microscopic)
- For natural Carnelian mineral specimens see our For Sale or Sold lists
(sometimes spelled "cornelian") is an orange variety of
color can vary from nearly yellow to nearly red. If the color is darker
(appearing brownish), it would be called Sard. The color of both is due to
iron oxide impurities.
Carnelian is always somewhat translucent; sard may appear opaque.
Carnelian is the traditional birthstone
for July, and the Zodiac birthstone for Virgo. It is associated with luck and
Carnelian is only one of several
chalcedony (cryptocrystalline quartz) varieties.
The primary varieties are as follows:
- Agate is a banded variety
(sometimes with translucent bands)
- Bloodstone is
green with red speckles
- Carnelian is yellow
- Chrysoprase is
- Flint is generally black
with a fibrous microscopic structure
- Jasper is any colorful
- Onyx is black, white, or
alternating black and white
- Sard is yellow to brown
- Sardonyx is banded,
alternating sard and (usually white) onyx